Forensic Medicine or Medical Jurisprudence is a science of applying medical facts to legal problems. Forensic Medicine is one of the largest and most important areas of Forensic Science.
Forensic Science is imperative to the detection or investigation of crime that has a pivotal role in the administration and execution of justice. This field of science is especially important for the training and education of medical doctors that would provide a solid scientific background at the legal sector of the medicine. The strength of these consequences depends on the knowledge, skills, and expertise of the medical professionals/students. A medical student/doctor must be capable of integrating this knowledge and skills in the examination, analysis, interpretation, reporting, and testimonial support of evidence. They should also have appropriate knowledge of medicolegal system of Pakistan and how it works.
Established in 1990 by Professor Inayat Ur Rehman, this department is well equipped with faculty offices, tutorial rooms, medicolegal examination rooms, standard autopsy suites along with necessary facilities, serology lab, DNA lab, x-ray room and museum having all types of models and artificial weapons along with other teaching aids for discussion and practical training of KMC students. Department of Forensic Medicine and Toxicolaids is the only source of quality education and practical training to the students of Private Medical College in the district of Peshawar, based on Memorandum of Understandings with these colleges.
In laboratory section of this Department, the forensic science experts investigate the crimes by receiving and analyzing physical evidence. The DNA Section is specialized in areas like analysis for cross matching and identification, while our biochemists perform specialized tests on physical evidence such as fiber, body tissues, and body fluids to help the investigator in case by issuing chemical/serological reports. The importance of Forensic Medicine in today’s modern era is irrefutable and the diversity must be acknowledged to appreciate its practical needs in legal system of the country.
The Department of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology strives to demonstrate leadership in Forensic Sciences in order to:
- Provide affordable, high quality undergraduate and postgraduate education in accordance with the needs of the legal system of the province. As it is imperative for a medical man to know laws that are relevant to his profession and to understand the position in relation to state.
- Improve the educational standards for the training medico-legal officers at grass-root level in order to strengthen the prevalent medico-legal system.
- Conduct new specialized programs postgraduate certificate/diploma/degree programs in the field of Forensic Medicine and Toxicology
- To provide 24/7 medico legal services and consultations to all public upon the request of relevant authorities.
- Provision of quality Forensic medical education, advanced scientific analysis and innovative economic opportunity for the promotion of truth and justice in the society.
- Provision of standardized medico-legal services to the citizens of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa
- Provision of high quality undergraduate and postgraduate education, in accordance with the medico-legal system of the state and the region.
- Provision of forensic services and resources to promote student learning, research, and academic success.
- Provision of medico-legal education, training, and services that will promote regional safety and justice.
- Remain up-to-date in the field of forensic medicine while incorporating the expertise into the curriculum.
- Regular review of the curriculum, along with that of degree programs.
- Secure funding to support creative endeavors, faculty and staff development, and state-of-the-art department.
- To provide 24/7 medico-legal consultation services to the public health sector.
- The scarcity of experts in this hugely unexplored field has provided unprecedented opportunities for the future health care professionals and forensic scientists. The diversity in the field of Forensic Medicine and new openings like Forensic Molecular Genetics will pave the way for further opportunities among the interested.
- Dr Arshad Hussain (MBBS, DMJ)
- Dr Noor ul Baqi (MBBS)
- Dr Shehryar (MBBS)
- Dr Farman Ullah (MBBS)
- Dr Ijaz Iqbal (MBBS)
- Dr Farzand Iqbal (MBBS)
- Dr Toqir Farooq (MBBS)
- Dr Hussain Jan (MBBS)
- Dr Sara Islam (MBBS)
- Dr Mustajab Begum (MBBS)
- Dr Saima Aziz (MBBS)
- Muhammad Jamil (DNA Analyst)
- Riaz Ahmed (Biochemist)
- Abul Alla (Biochemist)
- Ayesha Kiran (Biochemist)
- Teaching facility for undergraduates third year students of MBBS in the form of LGFs, SGFs, practical demonstrations etc.
- Teaching facility also for students of Private Medical Colleges for practical work.
Medico-legal Autopsy Facility:
- Forensic medicine Department, KMC provides 24/7 medicolegal autopsy facility to almost whole province for cause of death investigation and expert opinion upon police request.
Medicolegal case facility:
- Our department provides 24/7 services for examination and reporting of all sort of assault cases of medicolegal nature i.e. rape, sodomy, injured person and age estimation.
Toxicology lab facility:
- Department of Forensic Medicine has established state of the art Toxicology Laboratory and Special Toxicology Laboratory, which provide 24/7 facility for chemical and serological examination of samples.
DNA lab facility:
- Forensic medicine dept provide facility of identification and cross matching through DNA throughout the Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa.
Barrister Maleeka Ali Bokhari, MNA, Palimentary Secretary for Law & Justice visited Department of Forensic Medicine, KMC dated 02/03/2022.
During her visit to assess Anti-Rape Crisis Cell under Anti-Rape Act 2021, she appreciated the services of Forensic Medicine Department, KMC. The state of the art services under a single roof was highly acknowledged.
Post her visit, a meeting involving the Chairman Forensic Medicine with his team, officials of Health & Home Department, Government of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa under the chair of Barrister Maleeka Bokhari discussed Medicolegal & Anti-Rape services throughout the province in detail. Suggestions and way forward were devised to implement the Act in true spirit under the directions of Prime Minister, Government of Pakistan.
In the end the Chairman, Department of Forensic Medicine, KMC on behalf of Dean, KMC thanked the respectable dignities for their kind visit and also ensured full cooperation in the subject matter.