Dr. Farooq Ahmed
M.B.B.S / F.C.P.S / M.H.P.E
Director (Professor) Medical Education
Khyber Medical College, Peshawar
The mission of the department of Medical Education of KMC is to provide leadership and expertise in the following:
1) Curriculum development, implementation and evaluation
2) Development and implementation of a curriculum for communication skills teaching, Professionalism, Ethics, professional identity formation, and social accountability
3) Clinical and educational research
4) Assessment techniques
5) Capacity building in mentorship and collaboration
The vision of Medical Education department is to become a model in education, research, patient care and community service through excellence and innovation.
1) Preparation and implementation of a modular system of undergraduate medical education according to PMDC and WFME standards.
2) Evaluation of curriculum.
3) Faculty training regarding teaching, assessment and research.
4) Development of a culture of research in the institute.
5) Development of a culture of respect and professionalism.
1) To develop and implement a curriculum of undergraduate medical education for the college at par with international and PMDC standards.
2) The train the faculty in teaching and assessment strategies
3) To implement a special curriculum of professionalism, communication skills, research, ethics, professional identity formation and social accountability.
4) To help the students and faculty in designing, conducting and publishing high quality research.
5) To improve and train the faculty in conducting quality assessment of students.
6) To design and implement mentoring programs in the college.
7) To help the college to collaborate with local, regional and international educational institutions regarding education and research.
1) Implementation of Modular Curriculum in letter and spirit.
2) Modyfing assessment system of the college.
3) Development of an institution Research and Ethics board (IREB) in 3 months.
4) Development a state of the art Skill laboratory in 1-2 years.
5) Enhancement of skills of both Undergraduate and Postgraduate faculty regarding new teaching techniques, assessment and clinical and educational research on regular bases.
6) Implementation of mentorship programs.
7) Development of study guides and other resources for students.
Ongoing and completed activities
Ongoing and completed activities
The following is a brief description of activities those are already completed and are under process.
The medical education department is working on modules for undergraduate MBBS program in collaboration with Khyber Medical University since September 2017, and has completed the modules of 1st. These modules are under the process of approval and will be implemented from next academic session in October 2018.
The department has conducted a program evaluation last month by using a survey questionnaire amongst 1st year and 2nd year students to improve the existing modules and the changes suggested will be implemented in the future modules.
Faculty development programs
The department has conducted about 10 workshops with the faculty of KMC regarding assessments, teaching techniques and research in the last 6 months and many such programs are in pipeline.
The following changes in the assessment system of the college have been implemented; 1) Post-module assessment of 1st year and 2nd year has been a regular event now.
2) The marking of paper is now centralized in the department.
3) The papers have been converted from discipline based to module based with all the questions related to different disciplines in a single paper.
4) An MCQ and SAQ bank development is in progress.
5) Results of the assessments have been modified according to the modules.
Involvement of the department in different activities and committees
TThe department has developed an online attendance system for the students to improve the record of attendance of students. Similarly, an e-portal for students is under development that will be of enormous help for students and faculty
Institutional Ethics and Ethical Review Board came into being in December 2017, and is providing a platform for helping students and faculty in designing, and evaluating proposals and research papers. In intensive effort is going on to promote high quality research in the institution and to promote the quality of research publications in the Journal of the college (JMS).
The department cannot implement all these activities alone and need collaboration and participation of our faculty, Dean and other administrative staff of the college and even help from outside agencies to accomplish these goals and objectives. These reforms will go a long way in improving teaching, learning and patient care in future years to come.